Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Grandfather's Polaroid et al.

My grandfather Verne Roberson lived far out in rural Illinois south and west of Peoria on what I referred to as the end of the road, at the end of the road, at the end of the road.  However, he was so cool.  He studied law through a correspondence course with the Blackstone Institute in Chicago, although he was a dairy farmer.  He built a kit house from Sears Roebuck that was heated with a big black coal stove in the dining room and converted it to electric heat in the early 1960s.  He also had this camera.  It is a Polaroid J66 black and white instant camera that was made from 1961-1963.  It does not seem to be worth much of anything according to what I have seen on E bay, but I think it is marvelous.


Below that is the first good camera I ever owned.  It is a 1964 Spotmatic with a great 1.4 lens.  I bought it as a high school student at South Side in Fort Wayne when I worked at Howard's Rudisill store, working as much as I could in the camera/film department.  I loved it.





1 comment: